Besides pancakes, this is the hands-down favorite breakfast in our house.
When I ask my son if he wants French Toast for breakfast, I always get an enthusiastic response.
What makes it even better is that it is smothered in delicious, organic, whole milk yogurt made from raw milk, bananas, real butter, and an organic, blackberry, pure fruit spread.
You can put just about anything you want on this French Toast, this is just my son’s preference.
See below for the apple version (which I happen to like the best). This meal is so scrumptious, it almost seems like a dessert.
It’s kind of hard to believe it’s real, nutritious food!
- Slices of homemade bread from sprouted flour/sprouted grains or good quality, organic, sprouted-grain bread (we use Silver Hills)
- Eggs from pasture-raised hens, beaten (I use approximately one beaten egg per piece of bread; if you have leftovers you can make scrambled eggs)
- Real, organic butter (raw is a plus!)
- Organic, blackberry fruit spread (you can also use real blackberries or really any type of fruit, we didn’t have any in season when I made this)
- Homemade yogurt from whole, organic milk (raw milk is a plus!)
- Pinch of sea salt
- A few shakes of cinnamon (optional)
- A bit of real maple syrup, my son’s favorite
- In a stainless steel pan, place some butter and allow it to melt and spread around the bottom of the pan.
- While butter is melting, crack open your eggs in a bowl that is wide and flat, and scramble them. Add a pinch of sea salt.
- Place bread slices into the bowl and soak up the eggs on both sides of the bread.
- When your butter is melted, place bread into the pan. If your pan is large enough, you can fit more than one piece in at a time.
- Cook your bread until both sides have firmed the eggs onto them or until a bit browned, if you prefer.
- With a spatula, place your finished bread pieces onto a plate or plates. Spoon yogurt onto the middle of the bread.
- Cut bananas into thin circle and place around the top of the bread so they are sticking in to the outer edges of the yogurt.
- Spoon blackberry fruit spread on top of the yogurt.
- Finish with a few shakes of cinnamon (optional).
- Serve to your hungry family or guests.
Here’s the apple version, which is the same as the above except instead of bananas and fruit spread, just use diced apples.