One night recently when I was unable to cook because I wasn’t feeling well, my husband cooked this meal up with ingredients we already had in the house. It was incredibly delicious!
Who says pot pie has to have a crust? This one certainly didn’t, and you won’t miss it with all the wonderful, comforting flavors included in it. Perfect meal for the whole family, and great comfort food for a cold winter night.
You can also serve it with some nice, warm homemade bread and a salad.
Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
Rue ingredients for sauce:
- 1/2 a cup real butter
- sprouted flour of your choice (whole wheat, buckwheat, or spelt, for example)
- 1/2 cup milk (we use raw)
- 1/2 cup whole or home made yogurt
- Cooked chicken or other type of meat – ham or turkey for instance, diced or cut into pieces of size you prefer.
- Carrots, diced (1 -2, depending on your preference)
- Celery (1 – 2 stalks)
- Peas -frozen
- 1 large potato of your choice (we used a red potato)
- Broccoli (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Amounts for meat and vegetables are based on your own preference. We seldom measure those things out when we cook. This recipe should make enough for 3-4 people.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Directions for making the sauce (a rue):
On low heat, melt 1/2 cup butter in a small sauce pan. Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour a tablespoon at a time until the mixture is the consistency of glue. Slowly stir in milk and yogurt until mixture is blended and warm. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Keep on low and stir occasionally. Optional – you can add a teaspoon of arrowroot to thicken sauce.
Directions for pie ingredients:
- In a frying pan suitable for oven cooking (we use stainless steel All-Clad – you can also use Pyrex, ceramic, glass, or enamel ware), melt a 1/4 cup butter on medium-low heat.
- Start adding meat, potatoes, diced carrots, peas, celery, onions, broccoli (optional), salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of paprika. Cook until vegetables are sauteed, but not overdone. Make certain the potatoes are cooked well.
- Pour sauce evenly over meat and vegetables.
- Put a layer of parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until the top of your pie is bubbly and slightly brown.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!