Last weekend at the Weston A. Price Conference I watched excerpts from a film that disturbed me. This film showed small farms being raided by the government.
In the United States of America.
I watched as a farmer’s wife, with tears streaming down her face, told the story of how her family farm was taken over by government officials in uniform, with guns drawn and ready to be used.
It’s through agencies like the FDA and USDA, wielding such power and authority over our rights and freedoms, that now small farmers are vulnerable and are being threatened in their homes with guns. The farms that have been invaded are being accused with no just cause of any laws being broken.
It’s difficult to believe that this is going on – that the availability of our safe and healthy food is being torn apart at its very foundations; but it’s happening. It’s not being reported by the mainstream news. In fact, the story you’ll hear is really quite different than what’s actually going on.
The film depicted raids conducted on the premises of various small, family farms. In all cases, there was no real legal justification for the raids. I watched how agents made unreasonable demands and the family members told stories of being held hostage in their own homes for hours, as well as their children being intimidated and terrorized.
What have these farmers done? Have they broken laws or done something illicit? No. They are merely producing and selling healthy, nourishing food to willing customers. Since when has that been a crime?
It seems inconceivable to people when I tell them this story. They can’t believe this is where our government dollars are and law enforcement efforts are being spent. But believe it, it’s happening.
Watch the trailer for Kristin Canty’s powerful film, Farmageddon:
These sustainable producers and a variety of others have submitted to government agents coming onto their property and demanding the surrender of products they produce. The number of raids over the last year alone has increased substantially. Law enforcement officers confiscate products and the farm must close its doors, sometimes permanently. All of our country’s sustainable, family farms must continue to live in fear each day that their way of life could come to an end. Our sustainable food system is in severe jeopardy!
What can YOU do?
It’s up to us, the citizens of this country, to put a stop to this activity…make your voice heard! Learn all you can about these raids. Here is Victoria Bloch discussing the raid which occurred at Rawsome Buyer’s Club. Watch this unbelievable video about the raid at Rawsome Buying Club in Venice, CA in June of 2010 (including footage of authorities with GUNS DRAWN).
- Don’t put your money in Big Agriculture. Support your local, sustainable farmers and encourage others to do the same!
- Go to the Real Food Media Farm Fund page and get on the alert list to be notified when family farms are in need of your help. That way you will be notified when farms are in need of your help. PLEASE DONATE whatever you can. Even $5 helps!
- While making a donation to help Estrella Creamery and Morningland Farm, and put the badges found on these sites on your web site.
- Contact your state senators and other lawmakers and let them know how you feel about these activities.
- Use this link to embed the Farmageddon trailer on your web site, Facebook, or Twitter page.
- If you have a blog, please create a post about this, and also post on Facebook and Twitter as many times as you can.
- Use this Weston A. Price Action Alert page to direct others for more information.
- Keep up-to-date on food safety regulation activity such as The Food Safety Modernization Act (.S510 and S3767) by going to this site: Health Freedom USA.
Other useful links for information on the farm raids:
Kimberly Hartke at Hartke is Online – publicist for the Weston A. Price Foundation – Wanted, A Crop Mob of 50,000 to Save Artisan Dairy Farming
Cheeseslave – Save These Family Farms – Act Now!
Nourished Kitchen – Alert: Act Now to Save Small Dairy Producers
Food Renegade – Save a Family Farm in Just 10 Minutes
The Healthy Home Economist – The Civil Rights Movement of Our Time
Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund – How to Survive a Farm Raid
Donate to the Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund, and visit their site for regular updates
Stanley Fishman of Tender Grassfed Meat -Protect Family Farms! Save Food Freedom!